Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Points discrepancies between index & codex, What to do if my army doesn't have a codex yet?
BUCKET
post Nov 5 2017, 05:29 AM
Post #1

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 639

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping I can get some clarification on this because I couldn't find any official info from GW on how to run with.

I'm a Space Wolves player and with the recent announcement that the next 3 codex releases are BA, DA and Demons it's looking like it'll be some time in 2018 that the SW codex is released.

Obviously I'll be using the index until then but there is a complication involved in that obviously some of the units and weapons I can take are from the general Space Marine list as well as Space Wolves specific stuff. Given that the Space Marine codex is already out this presents me with a bit of a problem because to my understanding there are some points changes and rules changes between what was originally in the index and what is in the codex. Obviously the codex trumps the index for Space Marine players but what am I supposed to do given I'm playing Space Wolves?

For the record I don't own the Space Marines codex so the below example is just a hypothetical but I'm sure there are people with the SM codex and the index who can give me a real example.

To use an example (completely hypocritical) what if the cost of a powerfist went down from the index to the new SM codex, when arming my models with a powerfist am I supposed to pay the points value from the index or the SM codex? Also what if a unit cost has changed, once again if a land speeder points cost is different then do I use the index or codex points cost.

Now obviously there will be some things that went down in points and some things that went up and I have no intention of cherry picking the stuff based on what went down in cost but I also don't want to turn up to an event with a list where half the points costs are wrong and other players are doing it differently. Ideally it would be great to know one way or the other, I.e. I either go completely by the index for those SM unit/wargear entries or I go by the codex.

I've had a look through some GW FAQ stuff and I can't see anything that says what to do, so what do people think I'm supposed to do here? There are obviously other people in the same situation too right?

--------------------
An active member of the INFERNAL MUPPETS Wargaming Club
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
∆ON
post Nov 5 2017, 09:10 AM
Post #2

Edition Change Skeptic

Member No.: 222

Itís not in the FAQs but I think in the Warhammer Community articles, if you have the SM Codex, then you shoul use the points from there as a precedence. If youíre not only have the index, then use the points from that.

Bear in mind there are some units in the index that didnít make it across to the marines Codex (Librarians on Bike, Autarch with Warp Jump Generator etc) and you use the points in the updated book.

--------------------

"Hail ∆ON - Slayer of the Scrubs"

Full Disclosure - Yes, I really am a scrub :)

WHFB 8.5 Community FaceBook Group

40K Chapter Unapproved FaceBook Group
+Quote Post
Akenatum
post Nov 19 2017, 09:08 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 5,027

Unfortunately for space wolves they still pay index prices while other flavours of marines get any potentially discounted weapon costs... Chapter approved is coming with some changes for you though... So they may be addressed there

--------------------
Welcome to the jungle we've got fun and games
+Quote Post
Blackhearts Reaver
post Nov 19 2017, 03:06 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 446

Print the handy sheet about 1/2 of the way down this page.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/11...faqs-need-know/

the Crux of it is:
1) Codex unit? >> use codex
2) Codex unit >> New Codex Equipment>>> Use codex prices.
3) Codex Unit >> Old equipment set up not in new codex >> use Codex price for Unit >> use index price for Equipment.

So for SW if the unit is listed as "use the marine codex" (eg most of the vehicles) and you have a Marine codex you can take advantage of any cheaper pt cost. If it is a SW specific unit you are #### out of luck til SW codex.

This post has been edited by Blackhearts Reaver: Nov 19 2017, 03:14 PM

--------------------
Run local tourneys, Make terrain. 75,000+ pts...Play 1-3 games a week...(40K,BFG,BB,FoW).
Good Trader +149 .....QLD Masters: 1st/14(Tau), 1st/12(Daemons), 4th/15(Daemons), 1st/16(Orks), 2nd/15? (IG), 6th/22(Eldar).
AUS ranking=briefly No.1. :) ATC2011=QLD team ChampionsATC2012=QLD 5th
Retired from Competitive play sometime early? 2013

Try to be positive and help... not negative and tear things down.

"I passionately believe that's it's not just what you say that counts, it's also how you say it - that the success of your argument critically depends on your manner of presenting it." Alain de Botton
+Quote Post
BUCKET
post Nov 20 2017, 05:06 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 639

QUOTE(Blackhearts Reaver @ Nov 19 2017, 04:06 PM) *

Print the handy sheet about 1/2 of the way down this page.
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/11...faqs-need-know/

the Crux of it is:
1) Codex unit? >> use codex
2) Codex unit >> New Codex Equipment>>> Use codex prices.
3) Codex Unit >> Old equipment set up not in new codex >> use Codex price for Unit >> use index price for Equipment.

So for SW if the unit is listed as "use the marine codex" (eg most of the vehicles) and you have a Marine codex you can take advantage of any cheaper pt cost. If it is a SW specific unit you are #### out of luck til SW codex.

This explaination makes sense but what about the points costs of generic equipment? I.e. Didn't a power fist decrease in points from the index to the SM codex? So if I'm equipping a Space Wolves model with a power fist am I paying the index price or the SM codex price?

Even though it's probably to my detriment it might be easier for me to just play it as it's written in the index until the codex is out otherwise it could end up being really complicated constantly having to cross reference two different books just to get the right points to build a single infantry unit. Writing a whole list like that would be a nightmare.

--------------------
An active member of the INFERNAL MUPPETS Wargaming Club
+Quote Post
Blackhearts Reaver
post Nov 20 2017, 07:12 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 446

If the unit is a SW unit like wolfguard/Grey hunters as opposed ot tactical marines I would say you have to use the INdex cost and index equipment costs.

You would only use the Codex cost for the units listed on Page130 (that are to come from the Space Marine Datasheets).

--------------------
Run local tourneys, Make terrain. 75,000+ pts...Play 1-3 games a week...(40K,BFG,BB,FoW).
Good Trader +149 .....QLD Masters: 1st/14(Tau), 1st/12(Daemons), 4th/15(Daemons), 1st/16(Orks), 2nd/15? (IG), 6th/22(Eldar).
AUS ranking=briefly No.1. :) ATC2011=QLD team ChampionsATC2012=QLD 5th
Retired from Competitive play sometime early? 2013

Try to be positive and help... not negative and tear things down.

"I passionately believe that's it's not just what you say that counts, it's also how you say it - that the success of your argument critically depends on your manner of presenting it." Alain de Botton
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd November 2017 - 05:31 PM