Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Forgeworld rules for 8th edition, Thoughts on the new rules
ortron
post Jun 18 2017, 11:50 AM
Post #1

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 3,061

G'day ladies and Gents,

As a massive FW fan, I was quick to get the new FW books from warhammer digital. After a quick read through last night, I'm keen to trial some units in 8th edition as most look and feel like they should.

So far I've only gone through the SM book and they have new rules for all models and the characters from the badab series. The characters look pretty good though some have had a significant make over. The vehicles look fairly good to, and weren't drastically changed from what you'd expect. I did however find the walkers to be a bit off. The seige dreadnought weapons and options are just weird and don't match the existing model. The mortis types are there also but no longer have and special AA function, they're simply dreadnoughts with identical weapons on each arm. The box version does allow some additional weapon like assault canons and plasma guns, which IIRC, FW never released a model for...

Anyhow I'll do a bit more comparison work shortly but what are other people's initial impressions of the FW books for 8th edition? My summary would be good overall, but lacking in attention to detail in a few areas.

This post has been edited by ortron: Jun 18 2017, 11:52 AM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
morsla
post Jun 18 2017, 01:55 PM
Post #2

Paintmaster Mod

Member No.: 3

I haven't picked up the FW books (the only units I'd need the rules for are the Damocles Rhino and the Proteus Land Raider), but I've been reading through some of the rules posted on blogs and news sites.

By siege dread, do you mean the Leviathan? That seems to be a pretty straightforward translation of the old 30k rules.

Edit: Oh, just spotted the actual siege dread rules. They do seem to be missing some of the old options - didn't they originally have a Hurricane Bolter arm? There's no regular CCW option any more, either.

All the FW 8th Ed rules feel a bit rushed, though - hopefully they'll follow through with a quick FAQ once they compile a list of all the things they missed in their pre-production run.

This post has been edited by morsla: Jun 18 2017, 01:59 PM

--------------------
[WATT] [40k | Burn the Witch! | Alpha Legion | Harlequins | Inaryss Eldar] | Deathwatch]
[Alkemy | Clan Walosi | Jade Triad | Avalon] [WM | Mercenaries | Cryx | River dock] [Hordes | Skorne]
[Infinity | Nomads] [Wrath of Kings | Goritsi] [WHQ | Silver Tower] [Epic | Iyanden]
+Quote Post
Hapless Peon
post Jun 18 2017, 02:31 PM
Post #3

Wyrd Henchman

Member No.: 7,498

I'm hoping there will be an errata for the Chaos book to say if Death Guard and Thousand Sons can take any of the <Legion> entries with their keyword. At this time the rules in their Index would imply no but surely Death Guard would have access to Greater Blight Drones and I'd much prefer to take a Hellforged Contemptor for Thousand Sons instead of a Helbrute.

It's not game ending if they can't as there are no faction-wide benefits for those keywords it just would be nice. I'm not sure if it was simply an oversight or they want to limit combos like Magnus giving the re-rolls.

I guess I will just have to run a <Thousand and One Sons> Contemptor instead.

--------------------
“You just don’t invade another country on phony pretexts in order to assert your interests.” - US Secretary of State, John Kerry (2014)
+Quote Post
ortron
post Jun 18 2017, 03:39 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 3,061

QUOTE(morsla @ Jun 18 2017, 01:55 PM) *

By siege dread, do you mean the Leviathan? That seems to be a pretty straightforward translation of the old 30k rules.

Edit: Oh, just spotted the actual siege dread rules. They do seem to be missing some of the old options - didn't they originally have a Hurricane Bolter arm? There's no regular CCW option any more, either.

Sorry, I should have made that clearer. I was referring to the Mk IV and Mk V siege dreadnoughts that used to have an flame storm cannon and a an assault drill with build in heavy flamer. It would appear the assault drill has now been replaced by a seismic hammer and melta gun..

The Latest FW datafax though suggests it should have a heavy flamer as its included in the weapons list but it isn't listed as an option. Similarly it now has the ability to take other weapons that it couldn't previously such as a Twin Lascannon. Interestingly there is also the ability to make a "mortis" variant with two flame storm cannons???

The Leviathan Siege Dread is however transferred over fairly smoothly, though it seems to suffer more than other dreadnoughts by giving up its close combat weapons for ranged weapon systems.

As you guys say, maybe a FAQ in time to clarify some of these wacky changes.
+Quote Post
fued
post Jun 18 2017, 08:57 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 12,343

FW stuff for chaos is all nice, but nothing silly from what ive seen. Im keen to give the 700 point greater demons a go in a game
+Quote Post
morsla
post Jun 20 2017, 10:06 AM
Post #6

Paintmaster Mod

I found this image of the Damocles rules, but it unhelpfully covers up what it actually does as a command vehicle... can anyone with the book shed some light on what that last section is meant to say?

IPB Image

This post has been edited by morsla: Jun 20 2017, 10:25 AM

--------------------
[WATT] [40k | Burn the Witch! | Alpha Legion | Harlequins | Inaryss Eldar] | Deathwatch]
[Alkemy | Clan Walosi | Jade Triad | Avalon] [WM | Mercenaries | Cryx | River dock] [Hordes | Skorne]
[Infinity | Nomads] [Wrath of Kings | Goritsi] [WHQ | Silver Tower] [Epic | Iyanden]
+Quote Post
ĆON
post Jun 20 2017, 11:10 AM
Post #7

Edition Change Skeptic

Member No.: 222

Command Interface Unit: Roll 2D6 at the end of each of your turns if your Warlord is embarked within a Damocles Command Rhino. If the total is less than your Warlord's Leadership characteristic, you gain one command point.

122pts with the Storm Bolter

--------------------

"Hail ĆON - Slayer of the Scrubs"

Full Disclosure - Yes, I really am a scrub :)

WHFB 8.5 Community FaceBook Group

40K Chapter Unapproved FaceBook Group
+Quote Post
Demon
post Jun 20 2017, 11:12 AM
Post #8

Lord of The Crossroads
Group Icon

Group: Support Veteran
Member No.: 218

QUOTE(morsla @ Jun 20 2017, 10:06 AM) *

I found this image of the Damocles rules, but it unhelpfully covers up what it actually does as a command vehicle... can anyone with the book shed some light on what that last section is meant to say?

Look just roll the d6 and stop complaining already jeez

I might have to grab the chaos one just so I can use the typhon on friday *surprise*

QUOTE(ĆON @ Jun 20 2017, 11:10 AM) *

Command Interface Unit: Roll 2D6 at the end of each of your turns if your Warlord is embarked within a Damocles Command Rhino. If the total is less than your Warlord's Leadership characteristic, you gain one command point.

Holy crap

This post has been edited by Demon: Jun 20 2017, 11:12 AM

--------------------
MAY YOUR FOREHEAD GROW LIKE THE MIGHTY OAK

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded. - T Pratchett

QUOTE(WitchFinderGeneral @ Jul 2 2017, 05:43 PM) *

Being a little bitch is in my genes apparently.
+Quote Post
morsla
post Jun 20 2017, 01:17 PM
Post #9

Paintmaster Mod

Thanks ĆON! It looks like my plan of fielding an Elites-heavy (Fallen as Alpha Legion veterans) might be a bit more feasible - you're unlikely to keep a Chaos HQ stuck in a rhino for more than a couple of turns, but that could mean an extra CP in most games.

--------------------
+Quote Post
ThatWallyGuy
post Jun 20 2017, 01:22 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 13,305

Snap that is a strong unit...

Just hoping when the Xenos book comes out good old Hierodule will be good

--------------------
Only The Insane Can Truly Prosper
Only Those Who Can Prosper Can Truly Judge What Is Sane
+Quote Post
Demon
post Jun 20 2017, 05:19 PM
Post #11

Lord of The Crossroads
Group Icon

QUOTE(ortron @ Jun 18 2017, 11:50 AM) *

So far I've only gone through the SM book and they have new rules for all models and the characters from the badab series. The characters look pretty good though some have had a significant make over. The vehicles look fairly good to, and weren't drastically changed from what you'd expect. I did however find the walkers to be a bit off. The seige dreadnought weapons and options are just weird and don't match the existing model. The mortis types are there also but no longer have and special AA function, they're simply dreadnoughts with identical weapons on each arm. The box version does allow some additional weapon like assault canons and plasma guns, which IIRC, FW never released a model for...

Were there any rules in there for tac marines with siege mantlets aka boarding shields?

--------------------

+Quote Post
morsla
post Jun 20 2017, 08:16 PM
Post #12

Paintmaster Mod

Doesn't look like it, from the table of contents - "tanks, bigger tanks, dreadnoughts and characters" seem to be their main themes smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Demon
post Jun 20 2017, 08:22 PM
Post #13

Lord of The Crossroads
Group Icon

Blerg. One day breachers. One day

--------------------

+Quote Post
Da Smas
post Jun 21 2017, 12:27 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 4,998

Anybody find something with STR higher than 32?

--------------------
Tip 5: Move your dead of the table quickly, if your someone who carefully packs each model, Infantry Guard is not for you. You must care as much for your model as an Commissar does for men's lives. By Dieing they have failed you and should be removed form your sight as quickly as possible.

QUOTE(Dice Array @ Dec 8 2013, 05:07 PM) *

you would ten mice should table lengthwise?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th August 2017 - 03:29 PM