Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Might be doing it again 8th Ed
cobbler
post Jun 17 2017, 11:36 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,500

Hi All,

I have been playing 40k on and off for many years. Started way back when I was a kid. I got back into it about 10 years go. I was going to get right back into the game about 5 years ago but the game wasn't the same. After hearing a lot of good feed back online regarding the new 8th Ed rules and how much simpler they are I am thinking of delving in again.
The new warhammer Tv painting guides are fantastic. Something games workshop have done really well.
As I have regrettably sold all of my old models I would need to start all over again. The new starter Box seems the best way to start again.
As we all do we want to start playing straight away but painting models takes paitience. A quality a didn't have when painting previously.

I have some questions for some of the better painters on the forum as I see this as being an issue for me if I start.
1. If you have watched the warhammer Tv painting guides is it really that simple. It looks really easy.
2. How long does it take to paint a squad of marines to a good standard. Eg blood angels
3. When building models do you leave parts off for hard to get to places.

Looking forward to the forums responses.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Stumphy
post Jun 18 2017, 12:25 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: WargamerAU Sponsor
Member No.: 5,835

there are some techniques that can get you better results than others, but is it simple to paint models to look good?

not really if you have never done it. Like anything it takes practice.

However if i gave you a colouring book and some texters and said, color this and don't go outside the lines, if you have the patience and care to do that then you should be able to get a reasonable paint job. Its mostly about patience which many people don't have.

10 man squad of SM, if you do not have developed skills would take you a few hours.

I could do them using an airbrush in much less time, but I have been painting for 20 years and I know lots of shortcuts. You could get them done in a day on the weekend though

and yes, leave off bits that might make painting details tricky and then ad them later

--------------------
Armies
WM/H Circle Orboros
WM/H Skorne
40K IG Multinational Infantry army
40K Mono Nurgle Chaos Daemons
WFB Skaven
BFG Imperial
Necromunda Escher

My Painting Gallery
+Quote Post
Chaplain_Fortis
post Jun 18 2017, 12:27 PM
Post #3

Authority Bared

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 4,901

It's actually significantly easier than it used to be. Gw's new design ethic makes for really easy to paint details and wash based painting makes for really good results. If you follow the guides then you can get decent results super fast. As above a 10 man marine squad would be about 4-6 hours if you're doing it with a brush and washes. With an airbrush you could get it done in about 3 as the base coats are much faster. You generally leave off back packs and weapons with marines. Sometimes helmets.

Give it a go. Investigate warpaints, army painter (for inks and base colours) and Vallejo to save a bunch of cash on paints.

--------------------
Existential memes for nihilistic teens
+Quote Post
Blackhearts Reaver
post Jun 19 2017, 12:28 AM
Post #4

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 446

Iron Lak have brought out a Airbrush range (they normally do spraycan acrylics for Graffitti artists)

I haven't tried it yet but at $6 for a 40ml bottle I sure will....

--------------------
Run local tourneys, Make terrain. 75,000+ pts...Play 1-3 games a week...(40K,BFG,BB,FoW).
Good Trader +149 .....QLD Masters: 1st/14(Tau), 1st/12(Daemons), 4th/15(Daemons), 1st/16(Orks), 2nd/15? (IG), 6th/22(Eldar).
AUS ranking=briefly No.1. :) ATC2011=QLD team ChampionsATC2012=QLD 5th
Retired from Competitive play sometime early? 2013

Try to be positive and help... not negative and tear things down.

"I passionately believe that's it's not just what you say that counts, it's also how you say it - that the success of your argument critically depends on your manner of presenting it." Alain de Botton
+Quote Post
cobbler
post Jun 19 2017, 10:06 PM
Post #5

Thanks for replys. I think the key for me at least will be the patience. In the past I've rushed things and not paid attention to detail. The GW paint range now seems a lot more easier to work with. I'm going to get a small force of Blood Angels together. If I can paint for an hour or so a night I should get a squad of marines done in a week. Thats my goal any way. When I first started years ago that was the Space Marine chapter I feel in love with. I'll keep you all updated with my progress.
+Quote Post
cobbler
post Jun 24 2017, 08:21 AM
Post #6

A little up date. I have purchased some paints and have started with a prictice models. GW kindlly gave me one to work on. The only thing I need improvement is the edge hilighting. Just to get it more neat.
The price of the models are in my opinion way over priced. One captain in terminator armour $56😳😳😳😳
So I want to make sure the painting is done right once I commit my hard earned.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th August 2017 - 03:28 PM