Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Using GSC codex to represent a daemonic infestation, Thoughts?? Complaints??
Ronin
post Mar 12 2017, 08:28 AM
Post #1

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 2,512

Hey all,

Have had a traitor guard army since the eye of terror campaign. Love them to bits. But I have been reading about (note: have not had access to read the actual codex) GSC and sounds like a great opportunity for a bit of thought play.

Purestrains can easily just be daemons, patriarchs can be better daemons, and the rank and file stay as they were.

Im under the belief that rank and file grunts in a GSC are better at H2H than regular guard and I think this would be well reflected as chaos worshippers should have a close combat preference (I know mine do when I add priests)

So how do people feel about this?? Would it make anyone butthurt over the idea of fighting a non purple GSC or would you all appreciate the effort taken to change the focus of my army from priests and charismatic leaders to daemons and arse kickery??

Cheers, Ronin

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ThatWallyGuy
post Mar 12 2017, 08:53 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 13,305

It can be done.. and people shouldn't have any real issues if you nake sure that they are armed correctly.

--------------------
Only The Insane Can Truly Prosper
Only Those Who Can Prosper Can Truly Judge What Is Sane
+Quote Post
Starfire
post Mar 12 2017, 09:08 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 7,286

You could also use the ambushing rules to great effect as surprise uprisings.

As an aside, the Renegades and Heretics list from FW also has an increased focus on h2h combat with lots of WS4 troops, and is battle brothers with CSM, KDK and Daemons.

--------------------
QUOTE(Prince Raven @ May 11 2014, 07:43 PM) *

You know what? I give up, this is like playing chess with pidgeon. I'm going to leave while I still have enough brain cells to make the decision.

+Quote Post
D_Arquebus
post Mar 12 2017, 07:50 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 10,027

I used to use the LatD list as a genestealer cult uprising!

This is just coming full circle smile.gif

--------------------
ausbowl.com - The home of Australian Blood Bowl
theendzone.co- The burgeoning home of New Zealand Blood Bowl
thenaf.net - Home of the NAF (Worldwide Blood Bowl Community)
+Quote Post
Krefey
post Mar 17 2017, 01:29 PM
Post #5

Phoenix Lord of the Forums
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 98

Doesn't seem to really work from a fluff point of view. They are both subversive elements, but operate and behave differently. A full on daemonic incursion would work best with the daemon codex.

Chaos Cultists are generally just rabble, not trained, not better at fighting than joe blogs. They don't tend to be possessed or gifted as cultists in general are too small fry to be worthy of a chaos god's boon.

GS cultists on the other hand are hybrids / mutants that have physiological changes that make them better fighters.

Having said that, go for it anyway. I wouldn't stop you smile.gif

--------------------
The Hobby Transporter is beginning to ship to backers! Keep an eye out for it going live on the Laser Shark Designs website!

www.celestial-lions.net

Laser Shark Designs
Webstore
Offering custom laser cut goods for your gaming needs :)
(I'm just starting out, but would welcome requests / input)
+Quote Post
Blackhearts Reaver
post Mar 17 2017, 02:10 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 446

Sounds cool.

How were you envisioning the models to look? cos to be close to the Rules Slanneshi is the closer match models and rules wise.
Your biggest problem will be if you are using say bloodletter bits people will get confused with PW AP3 vs rending of GSC etc....

If you are just using GSC models and painting them daemonic or just chucking on a few head & arms swaps... ha who cares people can live with it.

This post has been edited by Blackhearts Reaver: Mar 17 2017, 02:13 PM

--------------------
Run local tourneys, Make terrain. 75,000+ pts...Play 1-3 games a week...(40K,BFG,BB,FoW).
Good Trader +149 .....QLD Masters: 1st/14(Tau), 1st/12(Daemons), 4th/15(Daemons), 1st/16(Orks), 2nd/15? (IG), 6th/22(Eldar).
AUS ranking=briefly No.1. :) ATC2011=QLD team ChampionsATC2012=QLD 5th
Retired from Competitive play sometime early? 2013

Try to be positive and help... not negative and tear things down.

"I passionately believe that's it's not just what you say that counts, it's also how you say it - that the success of your argument critically depends on your manner of presenting it." Alain de Botton
+Quote Post
Benjaymun
post Mar 17 2017, 02:23 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 11,988

QUOTE(Ronin @ Mar 12 2017, 08:28 AM) *

Have had a traitor guard army since the eye of terror campaign. Love them to bits

Good on you, not enough people play the bad guys, and it always makes sense whoever they're fighting. Space marine on space marine is all too common and makes no sense. More people should play traitor guard, chaos, tyranids, dark eldar etc.

I thought, traitor guard doesn't make a lot of sense because it's one planet rebelling against the entire imperium, which is a bit of a one-sided war. But then I realised, traitor guard have generally joined up with either chaos or genestealer cults, and it made a lot more sense. They're doing their bit for a huge galactic horror, and have a chance of actually winning the universe with them.

Thank goodness games workshop saw the sense in bringing genestealer cults back. They're flavourful in a way that full on tyranids aren't.

This post has been edited by Benjaymun: Mar 17 2017, 02:27 PM
+Quote Post
Jagged Tooth Grin
post Mar 17 2017, 02:30 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 4,158

going full circle there! I used to use the Lost and the Damned chaos cultist rules to run Genestealer Cult!

--------------------
Don't Mention The Warstore
+Quote Post
Mone
post Mar 21 2017, 11:28 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 3,149

If I had the money, I'd start another GC army using only the new Tzentch models. It would be beautiful.

--------------------
...and an actual quote from my sister - "Don't do it!! You've only got little legs!!"
+Quote Post
Ronin
post Mar 29 2017, 07:54 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 2,512

See I agree about the daemoc incursion being the daemon book, but im talking about the part before that happens when its time for cultists driven to frenzied heights by the power in the air starting a war to spill enough blood to bring the daemonic incursion on in full. The daemons (genestealers) that are in the army are just the weak ones that were easy enough to summon and are going to cause mayhem to bring forth their masters.

And as for the skill level, theres plenty of fluff examples of well trained and drilled cultists that could stomp the guard, especially in close quarters where skill is combined with brute strength and ferocity to do the job.

Just my thoughts and I hope to source a GSC codex to read and decide how I would do it.

--------------------
+Quote Post
BearPowers
post Mar 29 2017, 07:59 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

Group: Support Veteran
Member No.: 13,540

It would totally work. It's a big galaxy, anything is possible. Things like the Blood Pact or the Alpha Legion were highly organised chaotic forces, so it all makes sense in my mind.

I think it's a good use of the rules and would be fine by me.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2017 - 07:50 PM