post Jul 19 2011, 09:06 PM
Post #1

Slowest Painter ever!
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 331

For discussion of article.

--------------------
Please PM me with any issues with the new boards.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tilaurin
post Jul 19 2011, 09:27 PM
Post #2

Friendly Cutthroat

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 2,056

I love my theme lists, from the eGoreshade list that's let me finally bring the "Host of Tartarus" to the table with a good benefit (cuz, you know, 22+ Bane Thralls wasn't good enough...) to the Dark Industries pAsphyxious list that's really pushed me out of my normal envelope and got me fielding several squads of Mechanithralls and leaving Mr Deathjack on the sidelines on holiday.

I think they're great, as a veteran I love finding a new fun way to field stuff, and it's great picking a caster off the shelf, throwing their theme together, and playing them completely different than I may have in the past. It's great for picking up something new, too, eSorscha and Strakhov's themes were great ways to throw something together that would both look awesome and work well together on the table, without a lot of thought.

Good article Nathan, I can only think you consulted with the best of minds on the subject wink.gif

--------------------
Dare Games Oz
Australian tabletop game studio launching Mecha Strike Arena, 10mm gladiatorial arena combat
For Love of the Game
+Quote Post
Drifter
post Jul 20 2011, 05:56 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 5,185

The very best! smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
cmdr_roy
post Jul 20 2011, 01:20 PM
Post #4

Pavè Accredited

Member No.: 101

+1.

If you want to talk points efficiency from theme lists the Shae is the man, 1pt solos ohmy.gif
Closely followed by pCaine, cheaper gunmages and free UA, all fits into 25pts too....

It should be noted that some theme lists work better at certain points levels, you did note that some cant get to Tier 4 within 35pts due to their minimum requirements.

This post has been edited by cmdr_roy: Jul 20 2011, 01:21 PM

--------------------
Reuse Repurpose Recycle

If your having adventuring problems I feel sorry for you son,
I dodged 99 arrows but my knee got one.

Say hello to my little friend!
+Quote Post
Jagged Tooth Grin
post Jul 20 2011, 05:41 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 4,158

it'd be nice if these announcement topics came with a game system referenced in the title (ie: "[WM] To Theme on Not To Theme") to assist those of us who dont care about one system or another.

--------------------
Don't Mention The Warstore
+Quote Post
cmdr_roy
post Jul 20 2011, 05:51 PM
Post #6

Pavè Accredited

I dont think WHFB or 40k does theme anymore anyway.
But point noted.

--------------------
Reuse Repurpose Recycle

+Quote Post
Discombobulate
post Jul 20 2011, 07:28 PM
Post #7

As featured in Time Magazine
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 693

QUOTE(cmdr_roy @ Jul 20 2011, 01:20 PM) *

+1.

If you want to talk points efficiency from theme lists the Shae is the man, 1pt solos ohmy.gif
Closely followed by pCaine, cheaper gunmages and free UA, all fits into 25pts too....

It should be noted that some theme lists work better at certain points levels, you did note that some cant get to Tier 4 within 35pts due to their minimum requirements.

Re: Shae's T4 list - it works nicely (and possibly is one of the best T4 lists around) at 35 points, but I don't think it scales as nicely to 50 points

+Quote Post
cmdr_roy
post Jul 20 2011, 08:57 PM
Post #8

Pavè Accredited

Agreed.
For 35pts my favourites are Shae and pCaine, the benefits are great and the extra points you effectively get are a massive advantage at that size game.
They both also sort of work at the 25pt level but you dont get enough heavy 'jacks IMO.
Shae goes ok at 50pts, comes down to just taking extra 'jacks (at least thats what i do) and some riflemen. pCaine at 50pts is terrible as Tier 4, you want the extra ATGM unit but they dont get an attachment, taking extra 'jacks doesnt work as well as pCaine cant run too many as he needs to spam out Deadeye or Snipe or Blur or some shooting of his own. Ive yet to try a double 'jack marshall option with the ATGM though so that might help a bit.
Im currently looking to run Blaize T4 for an event next week (if i can get my hands on a second unit of Precursors). Will be interesting to see how the restrictions go.

--------------------
Reuse Repurpose Recycle

+Quote Post
blackaciddevyl
post Jul 21 2011, 12:13 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 7,047

I think that at Tier4 Pdoomshaper (well for me) seems to perform better. I think having that access to a solid unit for a point cheaper, then having no FA on them. Even those money wise its pretty expensive. Runeshapers, are an absolute bargain at 3pts for 3 multi-wound models that can certainly hold their own. The list is extremely fluffy, and although there is a tendency for spam, to me those small units of Runeshapers have adopted little personalities individually of their own. Free Fury on the Krielstone is an added bonus as well, 5 to begin with with my list.

As for the rest of the Trollbloods Tier list I haven't used any of them to great success. Grim's tier list has no melee punch, and when things get up close your ranged trollies tend to be a little lacklustre. Grissel's Tier is an interesting one, but I'd never go past the Tier2 for it. Two large blocks of super fast cheap Kriel Warriors can be hard to dislodge off a couple of objectives.

--------------------
Hordes - Gators be gating.
Minion Record 2015
Ate a Frog
Didn't get lost on the way to tournaments
+Quote Post
Tilaurin
post Jul 21 2011, 12:19 PM
Post #10

Friendly Cutthroat

I really wanna try eMadrak's theme but I just haven't found the time to paint my second squad of Fennies. I'm hoping he gets a character beast in Domination to go in there too.

--------------------
Dare Games Oz
Australian tabletop game studio launching Mecha Strike Arena, 10mm gladiatorial arena combat
For Love of the Game
+Quote Post
cmdr_roy
post Jul 21 2011, 12:42 PM
Post #11

Pavè Accredited

There are plenty of Theme lists that i want to try, its generally the issue of having two of a particular unit that holds me back (also not owning any Trenchers or Longunners). Although as im expanding my collection its being based on wanting to run particular lists.

--------------------
Reuse Repurpose Recycle

+Quote Post
Phunkmanyeman
post Jul 21 2011, 01:24 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 8,145

I love eButchers theme. Win or lose its lots of fun & the look on your opponents face when you chuck down all those doomies is priceless.
+Quote Post
Maxo_Q
post Jul 27 2011, 12:08 AM
Post #13

Social Vampire
Group Icon

Group: Support Veteran
Member No.: 4,233

Both Farrow Tiers are excellent and incredibly brutal combat wise.

+Quote Post
Hapless Peon
post Jul 27 2011, 09:27 AM
Post #14

Wyrd Henchman

Member No.: 7,498

In most regards Shae's Theme is far superior to the Talion Charter contract. In 35 point and smaller there is no reason you would take the Contract over the Theme. In larger games 50+ you may have to take the Contract simply to fill out the points but even then I personally would still be looking at the Theme list.

My other favourite theme list is Ashlynn. Access to the extra Gun Mages and free officers at tier 4 is wonderful. Perhaps not the most effective list but a lot of fun.

Calaban the Grave walkers Theme list is interesting as it give access to the Bone Grinders which adds a different element to the Gators.

--------------------
“You just don’t invade another country on phony pretexts in order to assert your interests.” - US Secretary of State, John Kerry (2014)
+Quote Post
Tilaurin
post Jul 27 2011, 09:29 AM
Post #15

Friendly Cutthroat

Having thrown down a little with Constance Blaize now I'm both looking forward to and not sure about using her theme force. A Trencher screen really helped her last night, but all that goodness with fast Sword Knights & Precursors, and advance move jacks just seems delicious.

--------------------
Dare Games Oz
For Love of the Game
+Quote Post
GuppyShark
post Jul 27 2011, 11:48 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 2,730

I am loving the forward deployment and advance move of the Knights Exemplar in eKreoss' tier... but I've no idea if it's competitive.

--------------------
Project Tiny - 10mm Tinymans & Uncharted Seas
+Quote Post
tensions
post Jul 30 2011, 02:22 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 5,714

theme

--------------------
train like a barbrother.

+Quote Post
Forik
post Jul 30 2011, 05:30 PM
Post #18

The radnomancer

Member No.: 5,537

QUOTE(tensions @ Jul 30 2011, 02:22 PM) *

don't theme

i quite enjoy the fact that pp produce more tier list to spice things up a bit more now and then.

--------------------
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination.

+Quote Post
Bloodriver
post Aug 8 2011, 06:47 AM
Post #19

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,171

I'm very new to WM, only played a handfull of games so far, but I really like the look of the pMagnus theme list. At Tier 4 the army starts with his upkeep spells in place. He has four of them, which all affect friendly units, and combined with his Resourceful rule (maintains upkeep spells without spending focus), would seem to give him the ability to devote nearly all his focus to buffing his Warjacks. Can anyone who has played this army comment?
+Quote Post
Drifter
post Aug 8 2011, 07:26 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 5,185

It's a really good list that one, and if you like the look of it, go for it. Of the models it forces you to take:
Steelhead - the standard merc unit. Tough, relatively cheap and can certainly get the job done!
Renegade Light jack - this things are awesome! They have an arc side, a chainsaw and their own mini-feat (essentially) in their knock down gun. Having two is not a bad thing!

As to what to flesh the army out with? If you have steelhead, its often worth having Stannis Brocker in there. Your utility solos like Orin can also be good. Add a Mangler heavy jack or something and you're set.

It's a great theme coz its only the models and units you would want to take anyway.

--------------------
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd November 2017 - 05:18 PM